Learn about using emails, autoresponders, and email marketing effectively as part of your content marketing strategy.
A successful email marketing strategy will help you grow a targeted and responsive email list of subscribers.
You can then use this list to nurture leads into prospective clients and customers using emails targeted to your audience and distributed through email services and autoresponders.
This lesson will give you a better understanding of using email marketing to grow your business online.
In this lesson, we cover the following areas:
- Getting Started With Email Marketing
- Why Use Autoresponders?
- Email Drip Feeding And Broadcasting Messages
- Email Marketing Services
- Email Integration With Your Website
Getting Started With Email Marketing
Covering everything you need to know about email marketing is beyond the scope of our course.
If you’re new to email marketing, watch the video below for a quick overview and practical tips to help you get started:
Additionally, we recommend reading this excellent guide: The Ultimate Guide To Email Marketing
Why Use Autoresponders?
One of the secrets of growing a successful business through content marketing is to have an email marketing strategy that allows you to:
- Grow a targeted and responsive email list of subscribers,
- Turn subscribers into prospective clients and customers, and
- Train/Upsell existing customers.
Building and managing lists with emails using email services and autoresponders allow you to keep in touch with your subscribers and deliver timely or scheduled email messages, training content, and information of value on a regular basis and at the click of a button.
If you’ve ever filled out an opt-in form online to get more information about a product or service, or signed up for an email newsletter and received an instant response in your e-mail inbox, your email reply was most likely sent via an autoresponder program.
Simply put, autoresponders are email programs that send out pre-written messages. These emails can be in response to trigger requests sent to a specific email address or scheduled to be sent out sequentially whenever a new subscriber opts into your service.
An email marketing and autoresponder service can help your business automate your communications with your target audience.
Autoresponders are one of the most powerful online marketing tools you have available for growing your business online. They are easy to use and once you have set things up, your entire marketing can be automated to keep your business growing 24 hours a day on auto-pilot.
When new subscribers sign up, they are instantly added to an automated sales, training, and/or customer relationship system, and remain on your list until they decide to unsubscribe.
Autoresponders can be used in a variety of ways, from sending welcome emails to building customer lists, following up with prospects, and tracking leads through a sales pipeline.
Some autoresponders, like signup services for e-groups and forums, are one-time deals. They provide a single response for every message received (e.g. email a specific address and you get back email instructions on how to join or access the group).
Depending on your email marketing strategy, you could set up multiple autoresponders to target different groups of users or address different needs.
For example, you may want to set up an autoresponder to send out only important product updates to premium-level clients and another autoresponder to grow and nurture leads (and eventually turn these subscribers into premium clients).
Email Drip Feeding And Broadcasting Messages
Email Drip Feeding
With an autoresponder, you can bulk-write your email messages and then drip-feed emails to your subscribers at regular intervals that you specify.
If you are setting up a series of training emails or an email course, for example, you would create the content of those emails, add these to your autoresponder, and then set up a predetermined schedule to drip-feed your emails and send out messages to your subscriber email addresses.
For instance, you can set up an autoresponder to send subscribers an instant response when they sign up (e.g. a welcome email), then a follow-up message 2-3 days later, then another message 5-7 days after the previous email has been sent, and so on.
You can also program your autoresponder to send one message every day (e.g. an inspirational quote or daily reflection), 2-3 emails per week (e.g. product training or an email course), twice monthly (e.g. a newsletter), once a year (e.g. a subscription renewal reminder), or any interval that works for your audience and keeps them interested and engaged with our email series (and subscribed).
For a great example of using an autoresponder to set up an email course, make sure to subscribe to our 120-lesson Free Content Ideas course.
In addition to drip feeding, you can also create a single email message and broadcast it to your list on specific days, times, and intervals of your choice.
Email broadcasting is great for sending out special offers, time-sensitive announcements, product updates, event reminders, breaking news, etc.
Email Marketing Services
Ideally, your business should be capturing visitor details from your website or blog and adding them to your mailing list or newsletter.
There are many self-hosting scripts available, including plugins and add-ons that you can use to send out newsletters and autoresponder messages via your own website or CMS platform.
However, we recommend choosing a reliable third-party (i.e. hosted) service provider to handle your email marketing activities, such as your list-building campaigns, autoresponder setups, subscriber list segmentation, reporting, statistics, etc.
Well-known providers are recognized by Internet Service Providers (ISP) and have higher email deliverability rates. They also provide regular technical support.
With a self-hosted script or plugin, you have to manage all of the technical aspects yourself. While this option may seem sensible while your list is small, as soon as your subscriber base starts to become significant in terms of size and potential value, you run the risk of losing everything if anything happens to your service.
Using a well-known professional autoresponder service ensures reliable email deliverability. The services we recommend using are affordable, provide responsive customer support, and have the infrastructure to keep your data secure. These services also integrate with WordPress, allowing you to build your subscriber list directly from your website or blog.
For example, here’s an email marketing service we use and recommend:
You can use a service like Aweber to set up email capture forms for your website and automate your email marketing campaigns.
Aweber is one of the world’s most reliable and popular email delivery services and offers a professional and affordable list-building, autoresponder, and email marketing automation solution with many extensive features like:
- Send Email Newsletters – Aweber lets you send engaging email newsletters to your opt-in subscribers.
- Publish A Signup Form To Your Website Or Blog – Publish a signup form to your site using a simple and intuitive point-and-click Web Form wizard.
- Create Autoresponders – Autoresponders allow you to build relationships with your subscribers. Autoresponders can welcome new subscribers, educate them about your products and services and drive your email readers back to your website, all on auto-pilot.
- Manage Unlimited Email Campaigns – With Aweber, you can not only create unlimited sequential email newsletters for your subscribers and set the frequency for each message, but you can also create unlimited lists (e.g. for building lists on different niche markets, segmenting different types of users, etc …), send email messages as often as you want and manage all of your lists and messages from one account.
- Email Templates – If you want to send colorful, image-rich newsletters, Aweber offers over one hundred HTML email templates that have been tested for readability in all popular email clients, or you can paste in your own template, or create one from scratch using their point-and-click message editor.
- Email Deliverability – Aweber has one of the highest deliverability rates in the industry and has built relationships with most of the major ISPs (Internet Service Providers). This means that while many small businesses are finding it increasingly difficult to get their email delivered with all the spam blocking and filtering in place, your emails are almost guaranteed to get through just about every time.
- Free Expert Customer Support – Apart from the fact that AWeber is extremely easy to use and offers excellent educational materials such as a blog, knowledge base, and video tutorials, they also provide access to free customer support staffed by real people via phone, email, and live text chat.
In addition to the above services, Aweber also offers advanced email marketing tools such as:
- Send Blog Newsletters (RSS to Email) – The Blog Broadcaster feature automatically turns your RSS feed into emails that you can send to readers daily, weekly, monthly, or whenever you publish something new on your website or blog.
- Email Web Analytics – You can easily see what’s working and what isn’t in your email campaigns with Aweber’s powerful testing tools and easy-to-read reports.
- Easy Shopping Cart Integration – You can integrate e-commerce with email marketing into your business.
To test drive Aweber for free, enter your details into the form below, or click here to sign up for an account:
To learn more about autoresponder services, go here:
Additionally, see this section for more information on email marketing services and tools, including tools for building lists of email addresses for your marketing campaigns: Content Promotion Tools & Resources
Email Marketing And WordPress
If you use WordPress, you can easily add opt-in forms to your site to capture visitor details and turn them into subscribers for your newsletters and email marketing campaigns.
For plugins that can help you integrate email marketing with your WordPress site and add opt-in forms linked to your autoresponder service, go here: WordPress Engagement Plugins
Additional Email Marketing Resources & Information
These useful resources cover areas like creating autoresponders and opt-in forms, and managing your subscriber lists and will help you become a better email marketer:
Write Better Emails
A FREE, 7-day email course on how to write welcome emails and autoresponder series, plus fill-in-the-blank email templates that will help make sending emails easier.
Download this free guide here: Write Better Emails
Growing Your Business With Email Marketing
This FREE guide explains how to grow your business with email marketing.
The guide covers how to:
- Create signup forms
- Create email content
- Collect new subscribers
- Automate your emails
- Measure email performance, and more.
Download the free guide here: Growing Your Business With Email Marketing
Promote Your Podcast With Email Marketing
If your content marketing strategy includes podcasting, this FREE guide will help you master easy email marketing strategies to turn listeners into subscribers, build your brand, and grow your podcast.
Download the free guide here: Promote Your Podcast With Email Marketing
Learn how to use Aweber to set up autoresponders, newsletters, and subscriber opt-in forms that can be integrated with WordPress for lead generation, user engagement, training customers, and more.
More info: How To Use Aweber
Learn how to profit from email marketing by connecting with more prospects, leads, and customers using email.
More info: Email Marketing
This video course covers essential areas of list-building, from planning, building, and automating your list-building strategy, to methods for turning online users into loyal subscribers.
More info: How To Build A Subscriber List
Launching an effective email marketing campaign with high-converting opt-in forms and autoresponder messages that deliver value to subscribers can mean the difference between struggling online and building a successful and profitable digital business presence.
Build a strong relationship with your subscribers and nurture them by providing content of value at optimal intervals, and the people on your email list may never want to unsubscribe.
If email marketing is important to your business, you can’t afford to risk having disruptions and experiencing regular problems with your email service.
Make sure that you have signed up with a reliable, professional, and well-known email service provider…it will save you time, money, and headaches in the long run!
- Email Marketing Planning Template – Use this free template to organize emails you will send to different segments of your database, track A/B tests, summarize results, gather data on email performance, compile data on Excel or Google Sheets, and automatically calculate delivery, open, and click through rates.
- Return to the module overview: Content Promotion
- Go to the lesson on Content Metrics
- Go to the lesson on Content Marketing
- Go to the lesson on Content SEO
- Return to the Course Outline
Image: Email icon