Digital Marketing Manager
Learn about the role and responsibilities of a digital marketing manager.
In this section of the Digital Business course module, we look at the role and responsibilities of a digital marketing manager.
This article is part of our free content management course series where we look at various digital roles and responsibilities that a content manager may need to oversee and assume, depending on the organizational structure of the business.
Digital Marketing Manager Overview
A digital marketing manager is a professional who is responsible for planning and implementing a brand’s digital marketing strategy. This may include managing the brand’s presence on social media platforms, creating and running online advertisements, developing and implementing email marketing campaigns, and optimizing the brand’s website for search engines.
The main goal of a digital marketing manager is coordito effectively reach and engage the brand’s target audience through various digital channels and tactics. To do this, a digital marketing manager must have a deep understanding of the brand and its target audience, as well as the competitive landscape. They must also be proficient in various digital marketing tools and platforms and have strong analytical skills to track and measure the success of their campaigns.
In addition to planning and implementing a digital marketing strategy, a digital marketing manager may also be responsible for managing a team of digital marketers and coordinators, as well as collaborating with other departments such as sales and customer service.
Overall, the role of a digital marketing manager is crucial in helping a brand succeed in the digital world. By effectively utilizing various digital channels and tactics, a digital marketing manager can help a brand effectively reach and engage with its target audience and achieve its marketing goals.
The video below provides an overview of the Marketing Manager role:
Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Digital Marketing Manager Role
Digital marketing managers facilitate the process of engaging consumers in a personalized marketing process, from input on branding strategies to special offers and consumer preference, by implementing user outreach strategies to find out what consumers are looking for, and how they want products presented.
For example, a marketing manager may monitor trends that indicate the need for a new product or service. Then they may assist in the development of that product or service and create a marketing plan for it.
- Estimate the demand for products and services that an organization and its competitors offer.
- Identify potential markets for the organization’s products.
- Develop pricing strategies to help organizations maximize their profits and market share while ensuring that the organizations’ customers are satisfied.
- Work with sales, public relations, and product development staff.
Digital Marketing Manager Duties And Responsibilities
Digital Marketing managers are responsible for
- Helping businesses design an effective marketing strategy, where marketers know exactly what their consumers want and can consider their individual preferences. This is done using online information-gathering tools like surveys and tracking data about who buys what.
- Work with department heads or staff to discuss topics such as budgets and contracts, marketing plans, and the selection of advertising media.
- Plan promotional campaigns such as contests, coupons, or giveaways.
- Plan advertising campaigns, including which media to advertise in, such as radio, television, print, online media, and billboards.
- Negotiate advertising contracts.
- Evaluate the look and feel of websites used in campaigns or layouts, which are sketches or plans for an advertisement.
- Initiate market research studies and analyze their findings to understand customer and market opportunities for businesses.
- Develop pricing strategies for products or services marketed to the target customers.
- Meet with clients to provide marketing or related advice.
- Direct the hiring of advertising, promotions, and marketing staff and oversee their daily activities.
Digital Marketing Manager Role Requirements
Recruitment sites advertising the role of Digital Marketing Manager recommend someone with qualifications in marketing, excellent tech skills, and experience implementing search engine optimization strategies.
Important qualities of a marketing manager include:
- Analytical skills. Marketing managers must be able to analyze industry trends to determine the most promising strategies for their organization.
- Communication skills. Managers must be able to communicate effectively with a broad-based team made up of other managers or staff members during the advertising, promotions, and marketing process. They must also be able to communicate persuasively with the public.
- Creativity. Marketing managers must be able to generate new and imaginative ideas.
- Decisionmaking skills. Managers often must choose between competing advertising and marketing strategies put forward by staff.
- Interpersonal skills. Managers must deal with a range of people in different roles, both inside and outside the organization.
- Organizational skills. Marketing managers must manage their time and budget efficiently while directing and motivating staff members.
Full-time marketing managers can expect to earn upwards of USD$85,000 a year.
Marketing managers work with people in other roles, including:
We recommend the following resources:
Visit our tools and resources section for additional courses, guides, and helpful tools and resources.
Other Digital Content Related Roles
Click on the links below for more information about other digital content-related roles: