Digital Content Writer
Learn about the role and responsibilities of a digital content writer.
In this section of the Digital Business course module, we look at the role and responsibilities of a digital content writer.
This article is part of our free content management course series where we look at various digital roles and responsibilities that a content manager may need to oversee and assume, depending on the organizational structure of the business.
Digital Content Writer Role
A digital content writer is a professional who is responsible for creating written content for digital media. This may include website content, social media posts, email campaigns, and online advertisements.
The main goal of a digital content writer is to effectively communicate a brand’s message to its target audience in a way that is engaging and aligns with the overall marketing strategy. To do this, a digital content writer must have strong writing skills, as well as a deep understanding of the brand and its target audience.
In addition to writing content, a digital content writer may also be responsible for conducting research, identifying keywords, and optimizing content for search engines and social media. They may also be involved in developing and implementing a content strategy, which involves setting goals, identifying the target audience, and determining the most effective channels and tactics for reaching and engaging with that audience.
Overall, the role of a digital content writer is crucial in helping a brand or organization effectively communicate its message to its target audience. By creating high-quality, relevant written content, a digital content writer can help a brand effectively reach and engage with its target audience.
Digital Content Writer Duties And Responsibilities
Content writers and content authors develop written content for various types of media, including articles and blog posts, guides, reports, press releases, marketing copy, etc.
Content writers create the best possible content in written or visual format, and write high-quality web content and informative and engaging articles on a range of subjects to help businesses and brands showcase their products and services, increase search engine rankings, and drive more targeted prospects to their websites.
Content writers are responsible for:
- Expertly crafting articles, blog posts, etc., and writing content that helps drive conversions based on the organization’s content strategy, content plan, style guides, editorial guidelines and policies, etc.
- Brainstorming new article ideas with the content team.
- Researching industry-related topics, subjects, online sources, interviews, and studies to get factual information and authentic detail.
- Finding interesting angles, creating attention-grabbing headlines, and writing compelling copy.
- Ensuring all-around consistency (style, fonts, images and tone).
- Working with editors and clients to shape material for publishing.
- Preparing and presenting well-structured drafts to editors and clients for input, feedback, and approval.
- Developing proficiency using a Content Management System and tools that help to speed up content research, content writing, and content editing.
- Proofreading articles before publication.
- Ensuring content is produced and delivered on time.
Additional duties and responsibilities of a digital content writer may include:
- Coordinating with marketing and design teams to source artwork and illustrations for articles.
- Conduct simple keyword research and using SEO guidelines to increase web traffic.
- Creating content for social media, email marketing campaigns, etc.
- Identifying customers’ needs and gaps in the content and recommending new topics.
- Updating website content as needed.
- Assisting in the creation of content style guides.
Digital Content Writer Role Requirements
Recruitment sites advertising the role of Content Writer recommend a creative person with qualifications in marketing or journalism, a strong writing style, and good grammar skills.
However, anyone with Internet access can start a blog and gain writing experience, regardless of their education or background.
A good content writer must also have excellent research skills, the ability to understand and write on various topics, and knowledge of the organization, its products and services, and its target audience.
Having the ability to create a visual story using text, images, tables, charts, and infographics, and knowledge of computer software and editing tools that combine text with graphics, audio, video, and animation is also helpful.
Important qualities of being a content writer include:
- Adaptability. Writers and authors need to be able to adapt to updates in software platforms and programs, including various content management systems (CMS).
- Creativity. Writers and authors must be able to develop interesting plots, characters, or ideas for new stories.
- Critical-thinking skills. Writers and authors must be adept at understanding new concepts that they convey through writing.
- Determination. Writers and authors must have drive and persevere to meet deadlines.
- Persuasion. Writers, especially those in advertising, must be able to convince others to feel a certain way about a good or service.
- Social perceptiveness. Writers and authors must understand how readers react to ideas to connect with their audience.
- Writing skills. Writers and authors must be able to write clearly and effectively to convey feeling and emotion and to communicate with readers.
Full-time content writers can expect to earn between USD$60,000 to USD$70,000 a year.
Content writers interact with people in other digital roles, including:
- Content Editors
- Content Production Managers
- Digital Content Managers
- Digital Marketing Managers
- Digital Product Managers
We recommend the following resources:
Visit our tools and resources section for additional courses, guides, and helpful tools and resources.
Other Digital Content Related Roles
Click on the links below for more information about other digital content-related roles: